Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The best things in life are Free! (besides Lego Universe)

Okay, I have to make some software recommendations. First off, there is a certain point in life where you figure you're a geek, and there's no going back. I crossed that point when I read a live blog from Google I/O. And got excited about it. Anyways, one of the major kicks-in-the-butt about PCs (and Macs) is the expensive software (applications). A copy of Windows 7 is from about $120-$220. Photoshop is ridiculous, like, CS5 is $700 dollars! MS Office Home and Business: $270. Free alternatives:






  • Windows 7: Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) $0 www.ubuntu.com. It's got all the same core functionality, for free. Only Problem: No Lego Universe. Darn.
  • Photoshop: GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Same thing, different price. $0. www.gimp.org
  • MS Office: Libre Office, $0. Almost same functions, only no email client. Oh well. www.libreoffice.org.
Ubuntu is super-fast too. I suggest, if you get it, to use the Wubi client (for windows).
Installation is super easy, and all you have to do is run the installer and chose some options. The dual boot is easy. It's light on your battery for laptops and netbooks.

Fugu, signing off.
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with GIMP, I guess, although there are some things Photoshop can do that GIMP can't. But Ubuntu is a form of Linux that I do not recommend. It is annoying, and not very well thought out. I would say that if you want a free OS, get regular Linux, but only if you are a programmer (like myself) or you don't use the computer much, and want a free OS, because Linux isn't compatible with many games, or programs at all for that matter. Best way: cough up the money and get either Windows 7 or XP (both Professional). Much better than Linux, and more compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with all those statements. With Wine, you can run many programs like MS Office or COD, or even LOTRO. Although, I DON'T like .bin files. Finding them REALLY hard to open.

    ReplyDelete